Thursday, April 20, 2017

Living on Facebook


I am a relative newcomer to Facebook and I know people love communicating through this medium, but I have come to question whether it does more damage than good.

On the plus side it is an easy way to stay connected with friends, and like everyone else I enjoy the occasional cartoon and the philosophical posts.  But it can skew how you view other people’s lives.

From the outside looking in, it would appear that everyone has the “perfect” life, the perfect partner, the perfect children and a wonderful career and home.  But is that true?  Let’s face it, we can post what we want people to believe, when deep down we’re lonely, hurt and life isn’t so peachy.

My other concern about Facebook is some people just live there instead of in the real world.  Measuring their popularity and how much they are loved by the number of likes they get or “friends” they have. 

Now that’s sad. I know I for one don’t do too many likes when I do go onto Facebook as usually I am just scanning to see what is current.

I use Facebook to inform and pass on great articles, thought-provoking quotes and the odd laugh.  Yes we promote our programs, but I wouldn’t want to bombard people as frankly that can backfire on you as, to folks like me, that’s a turn-off.

Like all social media, it is a fine line.  Much depends I guess on why you use it.  What concerns me is the power and impact it can have on your self-esteem and your relationships with your “friends.” 

Guess I am an old-fashioned gal.  I prefer to get to know people face-to-face. I give myself a day off from time to time, so I don’t get suckered into the Facebook vortex.


What do you think?

No comments: