Thursday, August 21, 2014

Sometimes life on the wild side, isn’t so wild.


This summer I decided to “invest” in a local community farming program, through which each week I would collect my box of goodies from the local farmer’s market.

I wanted to support this young farmer, Nathan, and treat our family to truly fresh vegetables.  When I collect the box I am always faced with some new vegetable or a friend from the past that I haven’t cooked in a long time – like eggplants.

It’s meant that our meals have become more varied as I experiment with my new produce.  It also means that I’ve taken a few risks, and stepped outside my comfort zone, food-wise.  Take the purple beans.

They were a deep purple and I could visualize them looking so colourful and pretty on the plate, and wondered if they would taste the same as their cousins, green beans.

Guess what, they turn green when they are cooked. Who knew?

It was quite disappointing really – back to the same old, but for the four minutes while they cooked, I thought I’d taken a step on the wild side.

It makes me think of when we step outside our comfort zone within our business and take that small risk, to find out that after all, it was no big deal.  That’s when you wonder why on earth you spent so long debating the issue, when in reality it didn’t make that much of a difference, except maybe in your mind, because you’d conquered another fear.

All of which leads me to think that playing it safe is over-rated and taking a risk is the way to go. After all, you might find, like my purple beans, that in fact it’s all the same, except you’ve crossed a line.  A line that takes you one step closer to realizing your goals.

1 comment:

Janice Martin said...

Delightful...sometime I too lose my colour when I am in hot water...