Monday, July 07, 2014

Just voting myself off your island


One thousand, three hundred and fifty eight.   

That’s the number of emails I found lurking in my in-box when I got back from vacation.

While the new CASL requirement is a bit of an administrative nightmare in terms of capturing people’s permission and opt-in to your mailing lists, I have enjoyed responding, or more to the point, not responding (in other words choosing not to opt-in) to the numerous mailing lists that I appear to be on.

Many of them I would never, ever, have signed up for in the first place and you do wonder where exactly a website devoted to having better ankles or one around chocolate fountains got my email address?  I guess these spam tactics will be greatly reduced by the new legislation.

The timing is great too, because the size of my inbox clearly indicates my urgent need to unsubscribe, and I have been, with great energy and enthusiasm. It is very empowering to take charge of your inbox.

And to friends and members to whom I have also unsubscribed – nothing personal.  While I am always interested in what you are up to,  I just don’t have the time to read all the newsletters.  I wish you well, but I am in decluttering mode.

Everyone seems to have been in panic-mode to clean up their database, and that is a good thing. But actually you do have a two-year window in which to meet the new legal requirements.  So that’s what I am going to do… take my time and do it properly.

2 comments:

Lauren Pibworth said...

You got it Anne, there are a few things that we as Canadian business owners Do have to do immediately (like make sure we are using double opt-ins with our email marketing and adding un-subscribe and physical address to all email signatures etc) but the spam we have received due to the anti-spam law is atrocious.
Keep calm, have a plan and give your subscribers a good reason to opt back in. Freebies galore in the coming months!!

Unknown said...

Well said Anne!