Monday, April 20, 2009

SPRING CLEAN UP

With the great weather this weekend, I had no excuse about getting out in the garden. Now I have to confess, gardening is not my favourite pastime, but the spring clean up was calling me whether I wanted to do it or not.

And I have to say I did procrastinate a bit – you know - found other things to do that were suddenly pressing; called my cousin for a long chat, you name it – I tried to do it. But eventually I had to get out there and start raking those leaves we left in the fall with the theory that they would nourish the earth. Hmm right. There seemed to be an awful lot of them.

Now I don’t want this to get out.. but I quite enjoyed the physical labour of getting the garden in a bit more in order. Like your office or your wardrobe, there is something freeing about getting rid of clutter – be it paper, clothes or leaves. And if you are realistic on what you can achieve in the time allotted, there can be a sense of accomplishment.

Just as in life and business there are tasks we want to avoid, sometimes it is better to just parcel off small portions of time – the Swiss cheese approach – so you are not so overwhelmed and you are moving forward.

But let’s not get too carried away with my new-found enthusiasm for the great outdoors; otherwise who knows, I could get roped into weeding next. Heaven forbid.

No comments: