Monday, March 23, 2009

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR

Just recently I started a LinkedIn Group for Company of Women. At the time, it seemed like a good idea and one that might generate some useful discussion and dialogue between women business owners.

I would love to say that I gave it a lot of thought, that I had carefully crafted my long term goals and had a vision for the group, but I would be lying. It was one of those hasty, why-not decisions. I had the time, was just mastering how LinkedIn worked and what the heck… what’s the worst that can happen?

Well… three weeks later, as our group has rapidly expanded to 83 women, I am now realizing that there’s some truth to the expression – be careful what you wish for.

Now, don’t get me wrong, it is exciting to see this immediate response, my challenge is more what to do with this captive audience. How can I make this group work well, and provide a vehicle for productive discussion, without increasing my workload three-fold?

My decision – I am going to throw it back to the group – who better to tell me what they want to discuss and get out of the process

So if you want to be part of an exciting new discussion group – check us out. Better still, join us and share your views. It’s http://www.linkedin.com/e/vgh/1795964/

At this point my competitive gene is kicking in and I want to make our group the best ever!

No comments: